Thursday, 1 December 2016

U.17 Soccer

Wexford CBS    4  Enniscorthy CBS    0
The U-17 Soccer Squad took on Enniscorthy CBS today (Tuesday 15/11/16) in an exciting and well-fought battle by both sides. Early pressure from Wexford was dealt with well by the Enniscorthy back line. Our team showed a great work ethic to win the ball in the opposition’s half on numerous occasions early in the first half. Ciaran Carthy created a great chance early on after he took the ball straight from the feet of a defender deep in the Enniscorthy half. Stephen Kearns of Enniscorthy dislocated his shoulder after taking a heavy challenge. His valiant effort to play on was inspirational but he eventually had to be substituted off. Enniscorthy were gifted a chance to go 1-0 up 25 minutes in to the first half in a 1 on 1 situation, but the striker who was reluctant to use his left foot took too long on the ball and the attack ended with a heroic save from goalkeeper James Crean.  The first goal came after a free kick was awarded to Wexford in the 32nd minute. The set piece, directed towards the Enniscorthy box was fumbled in the area and calmly finished with finesse by Todd Hynes to give the boker boys the advantage going in to half time. Shane Bergin came on as a tactical substitution at half time for Scott Keeling on the right wing. Leon Nolan showed fantastic skill early in the second half to glide past 3 Enniscorthy defenders and deliver a through ball the Shane Bergin, which resulted in a Wexford corner. Todd Hynes whipped the ball towards the back post. Leon Nolan headed the ball back across the goal line and it was headed in to the back of the net with confidence by Ciaran Carthy to put Wexford up by 2. Later in the second half, Todd Hynes came under heavy challenge from Enniscorthy defenders as he bolted up the left wing. He miskicked the ball after an attempted cross to Leon Nolan in the centre which ended up in the top right corner to put Wexford up by 3-0 and give Todd Hynes his second of the game. Darragh Whelan was substituted on for Liam Godkin in the 65th minute.  After a dangerous 2 footed tackle from behind onto Kallum Broaders, Enniscorthy number 9 Jack Mythen was shown a straight red card and sent to watch the rest of the match from the bench. Complaints from one of Enniscorthy’s coaches also resulted in her being sent away from the pitch. The Enniscorthy goalkepper seemed to be having a change of form after making some nice saves in the later stages of the second half before conceding a 25 yard screamer by Leon Nolan to make it 4-0 with 20 minutes to go. Jamie Dawson was substituted on for Kallum Broaders and Gary Carroll was substituted on for Cian Whelan in the last 15 minutes. In one of the last plays of the game Tood Hynes was denied his hat- trick after being caught offside. The final score was 4-0 with a dominant performance from Wexford CBS.
Report by Shane Moore, TY1

No comments:

Post a Comment