Monday, 7 May 2012

U.16 Soccer Champs

Well done to Mr. Whitty's U.16 soccer team who defeated Gorey 2-1 in the Wexford/Wicklow Final on Friday last. Full report to follow.

On Friday 4th May Wexford CBS were crowned champions of the under 16 Wicklow/Wexford league with a hard fought 2-1 victory over Gorey C.S in Arklow Town’s grounds. This was a fantastic achievement for the Boker boys as they finished the campaign undefeated in impressive fashion, and credit must go to the players in particular for their dedication throughout the tournament. This was the second time these sides met in the competition with Wexford CBS coming away from Gorey with a 1-0 victory in the group stages after another fiercely competitive contest, both sides were in top form in the semi- final stage comfortably beating their Wicklow opponents Gorey beating De La Salle Wicklow 4-1 and Wexford CBS accounting for St. Brendan’s of Bray by the same scoreline.
The CBS began very brightly and took the lead inside the opening 5 minutes. Good work from Sean Donghue forced a corner kick which was dangerously delivered by Mark Doyle, Gorey failed to clear properly and Jessie Farrell took possession of the ball just inside the box and squared to Eoin MacDonald who hammered home to give the Wexford town side a dream start 1-0! Gorey responded almost immediately as they took control of possession and pressed the Boker boys. This pressure coupled with some sloppy defending from the Wexford side allowed Gorey an opening and they took full advantage to hit the back of the CBS net to level the game inside the first ten minutes 1-1.
The match developed into a cagey affair with both defences prevailing in a very tight contest. Gorey perhaps enjoyed the majority of possession in this period but were unable to craft any clear cut chances as they found Eoghan Whitty, Emmett Sinnott, Richie Kearney and Lar Stoutt in the Wexford defence in excellent form. As the half wore on Wexford CBS began to come into the game more with Darragh Rossiter, Sean Donoghue, Jessie Farrell and captain Robin Dempsey combining to put Gorey under real pressure and create a couple of chances but were unable to take the lead again, the best of these chances came after Rossiter took possession of the ball and drove forward before releasing Dempsey inside the box who hit an effort which beat the goalkeeper but crashed off the under-side of the bar, as the sides went in level at half time.
The second half saw a different side of Wexford CBS as they really took the game to Gorey and moved the ball around with real purpose. CBS captain Robin Dempsey really upped his performance and was causing havoc for the Gorey defence as the Boker boys attacked and forced the impressive Gorey keeper Adam Dunbar into a number of fine saves. Some excellent work from Jessie Farrell up front created an opening for Eoin MacDonald whose looping effort brought a fine save from Dunbar as he acrobatically tipped the ball over. From the resulting corner Sean Donoghue delivered an excellent ball into the box from which Jessie Farrell rose highest and glanced his header into the top corner of the net for a spectacular finish to give the C.B.S a well-deserved lead. Wexford continued to enjoy the majority of possession with Dempsey the architect of all they were doing well, MacDonald and Rossiter were now in control in the midfield and halted their opponents from going forward Mark Doyle and Sean Donoghue were working tirelessly on the wings and were well supported from their full backs Whitty and Sinnott.
With ten minutes remaining Wexford introduced substitute Cian Doyle and he almost made an immediate impact as he broke free with a great chance to increase the lead but the opposing keeper was quickly out to bravely claim the ball. With time running out Gorey poured forward in search of an equaliser as they threw everything they had at the Wexford defence. Gorey’s number 9 managed to beat Wexford keeper Joe Coleman in a race for a long ball over the top and lobbed towards goal thinking he had done enough to equalise until Richie Kearney emerged from seemingly nowhere to hook a clearance off the line. Eoin MacDonald was putting in a tireless display in midfield and his hard work found Cian Doyle who unfortunately lost possession. Gorey piled on the pressure but the Wexford backline of Kearney, Whitty, substitute Moran and Dempsey were up to the challenge and dealt with the aerial bombardment admirably with Dempsey and Kearney dominating. Gorey were denied a late penalty claim in stoppage time as the game finished after a remarkable contest.
Wexford CBS were crowned under 16 Wicklow/Wexford champions after an undefeated campaign, best on the day for the CBS were Donoghue and Whitty who worked tirelessly, match winner Jessie Farrell, but it was fitting that man of the match and captain Robin Dempsey was the one to lift the trophy in what should prove to be his last game for the school as the under-age international departs to play with Aston Villa this July.
Wexford C.B.S: Joe Coleman (Forth Celtic), Eoghan Whitty (Wexford Albion), Richie Kearney (North End), Lar Stoutt (Curracloe Utd.), Emmet Sinnott (North End), Shaun Donoghue (North End), Robin Dempsey (C) (North End), Darragh Rossiter (Forth Celtic), Mark Doyle (North End), Jessie Farrell (Wexford Celtic), Eoin MacDonald (Wexford Celtic); Subs: Ian Moran (Crossabeg) for Stoutt 60 mins, Cian Doyle (Wexford Celtic) for Sinnott 70 mins, Alex Bergin (Wexford Albion) for Farrell 80 mins, also Shane McGrath (Wexford Albion), Alan Larkin (Wexford Celtic)

No comments:

Post a Comment