Thursday 26 January 2012

U.14 Footballers Reach Final

South Leinster Juvenile C Football Championship semi-final
Wexford CBS v Presentation De La Salle, Bagnelstown
McGrath Park, Bagnelstown
Thursday 26 January 2012

Wexford CBS .....................................................2-08                      
Presentation De La Salle Bagnelstown.............3-04
Despite trailing by six points at the interval the juvenile (u14 ½) footballers of Wexford C.B.S. put in a sterling second half shift packed with determination to qualify for the South Leinster ‘C’ final.
Losing by 3-4 to 2-1 at the break, it looked like a tall order for the Wexford lads even with the advantage of a strong breeze. However they held their Bagnelstown opponents scoreless in the second half while tagging on seven points themselves to earn their place in the final.
Played in McGrath Park, Bagnelstown last Thursday the C.B.S. dominated proceedings for the opening ten minutes and Shane McGrath and Dylan Dixon penetrated the Bagnelstown rearguard to pilfer two goals after six and eight minutes.
The home side were rocked but eventually got into the game and with the benefit of the wind, enjoyed enough possession to break through the C.B.S. defence to score three goals and they surged further ahead with four points.
Shane McGrath added to his tally with a pointed free in the dying minutes of the first half to leave six between the sides at the interval.
There was a marked change in the workrate and attitude of the C.B.S. players from the throw-in and they showed tremendous belief to get themselves back into the game. Resolute defending and sheer hard work meant that the Bokerboys owned the ball.
Jesse Farrell started the comeback with a great point off his left boot. Following this the Wexford lads rarely left the Carlow men’s half. Constant pressure led to Bagnelstown conceding frees which Shane McGrath punished with three fine points out of his hands.
In the 50th minute Conor Coleman kicked the score of the game with a long range point from the right hand sideline. At this stage there was just the bare minimum between the sides and the Wexford town school maintained the pressure heir and were rewarded when Liam Rockett levelled the match with five minutes to go.
C.B.S. went for the winner and midfielder Dillon Dixon gathered possession and split the posts with what turned out to be the winning point.
A strong team performance in the second half was ultimately responsible for this victory but special mention must go to Stephen Kearney, Darragh Rossiter, Shane McGrath, Michael Lawlor, Jesse Farrell and Eoin Doyle.

Wexford CBS: Nigel Donoghue (Glynn Barntown); Padraig Rossiter (St Martin’s), Daniel Lynch (Sarsfields), Aaron McGuire (Volunteers); Aaron Goodison (Volunteers), Michael Lawlor (Volunteers), Eoin Doyle (Sarsfields); Darragh Rossiter (St. Martin’s), Dillon Dixon (Blackwater 1-1); Liam Rockett (Shelmaliers 0-1), Stephen Kearney (Sarsfields), Conor Coleman (St. Martins 0-1);  Shane McGrath (Sarsfields 1-5, 0-3 frees), Jesse Farrell (Volunteers 0-1) Adam Carroll (Sarsfields).
Subs: Alan Browne (Volunteers) for Shane McGrath inj., Also Kevin Harte (Shelmaliers), Aaron Smyth (Volunteers), Jack Houghton (Sarsfields), Lee Busher (Clonard), Kevin Corrigan (Blackwater), Chris Cowman (Shelmaliers), Paul Bailey (Sarsfields), Tony Crosbie (Volunteers), Cody Murphy (unattached)

No comments:

Post a Comment