Friday 20 November 2015

Senior Soccer

Wexford CBS 5-6 Borris V.C (a.e.t)
Heartbreak for seniors in first round of cup after Epic comeback

The Senior soccer team enjoyed very mixed emotions within one game at the hands of Borris V.C in North End. The defending Wicklow/Wexford league champions had high hopes this year of a good competitive run in the Leinster cup, but unfortunately crashed out on the first day after a dramatic match. Missing last season’s senior player of the year Darragh Rossiter didn’t help proceedings for sure but still the Bokerboys have nobody to blame but themselves. The game began with a very cagey atmosphere as both teams got stuck in to what would be an epic contest. Borris struck first blood after they punished the CBS backline for some lacklustre defending playing a neat one-two before their number 9 beat Adam Dempsey to give them the lead. The Bokerboys response was immediate with Shane McGrath firing in a volley from 15 yards on the left side leaving the keeper with no chance. The remainder of the first half performance will not be fondly remembered by the home side who were simply nowhere near their usual level. Unable to cope with the physical but fair efforts of their counterparts the CBS were caught guilty in possession again and yet again Borris combined to find a defence splitting pass and number 9 for the away side added his and his team’s second with a fine finish. Dylan Dixon was wasteful when played in with the chance of an equaliser opting to lob the keeper unaware of time he had and his effort landed on top of the net. Borris physical prowess was winning them a lot of possession and gave the home team no time on the ball at all as their high pressure game again paid dividends dispossessing Paddy O’Reilly on the right flank before sending in a cross and doubling their advantage. The half time score 3-1 against a shell-shocked home side. Things went from bad to worse as the influential Ryan Byrne was lost to injury after receiving a blow to the head at the close of the half.
To be fair to Wexford CBS they began the 2nd half in an entirely different manner and having made some changes and a few harsh words finally began to get into the game. However it appeared that luck deserted the side completely on the day. Aaron Goodison seeing a goal disallowed early on, Lee Busher whipped in a free kick from the right flank and the Borris keeper dived into a crowd of his own players missing the ball which found its way to the feet of Goodison who finshed well but the ref blew for a free out for a “foul” on the keeper. Shortly afterwards substitute Luke O’Neill got away from the Borris defence leaving them in his wake as he sprinted goalwards but hit his effort straight at the grateful keeper. The Bokerboys had certainly raised their game but again disaster struck, Paddy O’Reilly and the right winger for Borris got into a tangle and the result a free kick some 25  yards from goal for the away side. The same winger stepped up and unleashed an unbelievable effort into the top corner of the net leaving Adam Dempsey (or any keeper) with absolutely no chance for one of the most spectacular goals surely ever witnessed in North End’s illustrious grounds. 2 minutes later Borris broke on the counter again a nicely played cross field ball from right to left played in their left winger who rushed on and finished well 5-1 to the away side. To give credit to the CBS they did not stop or give up hope and changed formation in the hope of finding something. Substitute Sam O’Neill linked well with fellow sub Liam Rockett playing a neat one two before drilling a cross into the box which Lee Busher rattled home from close range, 5-2. The game and goals were flowing Aaron Goodison made it 5-3 with 10 minutes remaining as he volleyed home a cleared corner with a phenomenal strike from 30 yards into the top corner of the net. The Bokerboys were now completely dominating proceedings and were awarded a free kick on the edge of the box with 5 minutes to go, up stepped Shane McGrath who curled in a lovely effort to beat the opposing keeper 5-4 and game on with the clock ticking. The CBS continued to pour forward and came close again and again, another free awarded for another foul on Sam O’Neill on the left wing, McGrath stepped up again and managed again to fire home, completing an epic comeback and forcing extra time, the CBS in dreamland. That dream soon however turned to nightmare as 5 minutes into extra time and the first time Borris got out of their own half since the CBS comeback a penalty was awarded against Dion Murphy for a slightly over-exuberant tackle. Borris’ impressive right back stepped up and fired home confidently. 6-5 to Borris. The CBS came close again with super sub Liam Rockett seeing his 20 yard drive well saved by the away keeper. In the second half of extra time the CBS continued to press and felt aggrieved when not awarded a penalty for a foul from behind on Sam O’Neill after he had turned his man. Liam Rockett again came close hitting the corner flag with an effort from the edge of the box. In the dying seconds of the game the Bokerboys thought they had found a deserved equaliser after captain Jessie Farrell managed to jink in between two defenders for a clear run on goal and as he was about to pull the trigger, he was cynically taken down with a tackle from behind. Borris’s offender was shown a red card and a free awarded on the very edge of the box. Shane McGrath saw his shot blocked down and the full time whistle was blown. A devastated CBS crashed out of the cup after an incredible game, a mixture of the best and the worst from our lads and ultimately not enough. Best on the day for the Bokerboys were Shane McGrath (hat trick hero), Jessie Farrell, Aaron Goodison and super sub Liam Rockett.

Wexford CBS: Wexford CBS: Adam Dempsey (Wexford Youths), Padraic Rossiter (Forth Celtic), Lee Busher (Wexford Youths), Aaron Goodison (Wexford Bohs), Paddy O’Reilly (Wexford Albion), Cormac Byrne (Wexford Bohs), Ryan Byrne (Wexford Bohs), Brendan Furlong (Wexford Celtic), Dylan Dixon (Curracloe Utd.), Shane McGrath (Wexford Bohs) Jesse Farrell (Wexford Youths), Subs: Luke O’Neill (Wexford Albion) for R.Byrne, Dion Murphy (Wexford Albion) for Rossiter, Liam Rockett for O’Reilly, Sam O’Neill (Wexford Albion) for Dixon, Sean Hopkins (Wexford Celtic) for Furlong

No comments:

Post a Comment