Wednesday 5 October 2011

South Leinster Colleges Senior ‘C’ Hurling: Wednesday October 5, 2011

Bridgetown VC.........4-8
Wexford CBS............3-5

A PHYSICALLY stronger and more clinical Bridgetown VC senior hurling team accounted for Wexford CBS in round 2 of the South Leinster C championship recently at a windswept Rathangan.
CBS fielded a very young team and in fact finished with 13 players eligible for the junior grade. However, Bridgetown were full value for their six point win and it was their hard work in the first half when they played into the gale and still retired with a two point lead that helped them considerably.
The Bokerboys were slow to settle and the home side had the opening score with a point but Eoin Roche levelled with a super strike from way out the field. The first quarter of the game was very even but this was worrying for CBS as they had the benefit of the strong wind.
Two Sean Stafford frees were all they had to show before they were rocked when Bridgetown scrambled home their first goal. John Bridges was moved to attack and he converted a free to leave CBS trailing by 1-3 to 0-4.
After 27 minutes a long range Nicky Lawlor free went all the way to the net to give CBS  a tremendous boost before half-time but that fillip was almost immediately countered when Bridgetown scrambled in their second goal right on the call of half-time (2-3 to 1-4 at the break).
CBS faced a mountain in the second half and they desperately had to get scores quickly but the game went away from them as Bridgetown cleverly tacked on the points before grabbing their third goal on 43 minutes.
The CBS lads pounded away at the Bridgetown goal and were denied by three outstanding saves while at the other end CBS keeper Adam McDade was pulling off tremendous saves to keep his side in the game. John Bridges eventually found a way to the Bridgetown net with a close range free and then a 52nd minute penalty.
There were four points between the sides at this stage but Bridgetown had the last say with a well taken goal before the finish.
Wexford CBS: Adam McDade (Faythe Harriers); Luke Byrne (Faythe Harriers), John Bridges (Faythe Harriers, 2-2, 1-1 frees, 1-0 pen), James Somers (Faythe Harriers); Mark Hayes (St. Martin’s), George Cullen (St. John’s), Liam Barry (Faythe Harriers); Gary Murphy (Faythe Harriers), Jamie McDonnell (Faythe Harriers); Ian Moran (Glynn-Barntown), Sean Stafford (St. Martin’s, 0-2 frees), Eoin Roche (Faythe Harriers, 0-1); Conor Howlin (Shelmaliers), Chris Jevans (Glynn-Barntown), Graham Murphy (St. John’s).
Subs: Joe McBride (St. John’s) for Jevans, Nicky Lawlor (Faythe Harriers, 1-0 free) for Cullen inj., Mark Chapman (Faythe Harriers) for Howlin, Sean Phelan (Faythe Harriers) for Graham Murphy.
Referee: Sean Kearney.

No comments:

Post a Comment