Tuesday 11 October 2011

South Leinster Colleges Senior ‘C’ Hurling Round 3 Tuesday 11 October, 2011

Ramsgrange C.S.................3-13
Wexford C.B.S....................0-10

DESPITE BEING well in the game at half-time when trailing by just 1-6 to 0-7, Wexford C.B.S. senior hurlers put in a very poor second half performance to exit the South Leinster Senior ‘C’ championship at the hands of Ramsgrange C.S. in Ramsgrange school recently.
C.B.S. started with just five players up to the senior age with the other ten eligible for the junior team. This began to tell in the second half as the physically stronger Ramsgrange lads began to pull away from their opponents.
Indeed, CBS were trailing by 1-3 to 0-0 after eleven minutes as they took time to settle into the game. This doesn’t mean that they didn’t have chances as they squandered plenty and continued to do so as the game progressed.
Two Sean Kearney frees from very tight angles on either side pitch got CBS off the mark as they slowly began to get to grips with the Ramsgrange lads.
A John Bridges sideline was collected by Ian Moran who picked off a point before Bridges got a point himself. Minutes later, Peter Furlong and Gary Murphy worked hard to create space for Bridges – recently moved to wing forward - to score his second point.
Ramsgrange were always dangerous in attack and they picked off three more points before the end of the half whereas C.B.S. struck back with a converted free from Joe Coleman and then Coleman passed to John Bridges whose point left the Bokerboys trailing by 1-6 to 0-7.
Any hopes C.B.S. had of winning the game were ruined when Ramsgrange picked off 1-3 in third quarter. Their second goal came after a great save from Adam McDade but the rebound was finished to the net.
C.B.S. were putting themselves under pressure to get scores as they wasted many opportunities, especially to get the goals they needed to reduce the deficit.
Ramsgrange registered their third goal in the 54th minute when a short puck-out was intercepted and coolly dispatched to the net.
The Wexford town students eventually got off the mark in the second half when Gary Murphy was rewarded with a point after some hard work and then Evan Dunbar pointed a free and added a ’65 before the final whistle. Best for C.B.S. were Adam McDade, Evan Dunbar, Peter Furlong and Gary Murphy.
Wexford CBS: Adam McDade (Faythe Harriers); James Somers (Faythe Harriers), Nicky Lawlor (Faythe Harriers), Liam Barry (Faythe Harriers); Jason Kearns (St. John’s), Evan Dunbar (St. Martin’s, 0-2 1f, 1‘65), John Bridges (Faythe Harriers, 0-3); Peter Furlong (Faythe Harriers), Gary Murphy (Faythe Harriers, 0-1); Eoin Roche (Faythe Harriers), Jamie McDonnell (Faythe Harriers), Ian Moran (Glynn-Barntown, 0-1); Sean Kearney (Faythe Harriers, 0-2 frees), Mark Chapman (Faythe Harriers), Mark Hayes (St. Martin’s).
Subs: Joe Coleman (St. Martin’s 0-1f) for Hayes, Graham Murphy (St. John’s) for Moran, James Roche (Crossabeg-Ballymurn) for Chapman, Conor Howlin (Shelmaliers) for Somers, Brad Cohen (St. Martin’s)
Ref: Johnny Doyle (St. James).

No comments:

Post a Comment