Tuesday 13 March 2012

U.16 Soccer . Wonderful Win In Gorey

Wexford C.B.S.....1 Gorey C.S.....0
On Tuesday 6th of March the Wexford CBS under 16 soccer team travelled up to Gorey with a point to prove after a disappointing result in New Ross. The Bokerboys did themselves and their school proud by coming away with a precious win after a tremendous team performance, in Gorey to ensure qualification for the semi-finals of the competition as group winners.
The game was played in blustery conditions in Gorey Community School’s pitch with Wexford having the wind at their backs in the first half. Wexford were in determined mood to prove a point and show their worth against their illustrious opponents and started brightly, getting on top early on in what was proving to be a real battle in the centre of midfield. The return to the side of team captain Robin Dempsey was certainly a help as he lead his side admirably in a first half proving to be a real contest, Wexford managed to get on top early on with some good work from Eoghan Whitty and Sean Donohue down the right flank creating an opening which Cian Doyle and then Mark Doyle both were unable find the target as their efforts were blocked. The game was contested mostly in midfield in the first half and the Bokerboys were edging it early on but found a resolute Gorey defence blocking and closing down every opportunity. Similarly Gorey found when they attacked that the CBS were in no mood to present their opponents with chances as the excellent pairing of Lar Stoutt and Richie Kearney imposed themselves on the game. As the half went on Wexford began to take a hold of the game and created a number of glorious opportunities as they began to break down the Gorey defence, Cian Doyle and Mark Doyle combined well to present a chance to onrushing winger Sean Donohue who then squared to opposite winger Darragh Rossiter, Rossiter took a touch before hitting a well-placed shot under the crossbar which was well saved by the Gorey keeper.
Wexford continued this pressure and forced a number of corners as they put Gorey under severe pressure but were finding themselves frustrated by failing to hit the target from each of these chances created before half time, with Robin Dempsey in particular beginning to take control of the game from the centre of the field.
The second half began with Gorey making a couple of changes and they started brightly by putting CBS under pressure but could not create many chances as they couldn’t force an opening due to the stellar defensive efforts of the CBS. Ian Moran came on for the tiring Emmet Sinnott as the Wexford side looked to take the initiative in the second half. Eoin MacDonald moved up front with Mark Doyle returning to his natural position on the left wing and Darragh Rossiter moved inside into the centre where he really began to cause havoc for the Gorey side. These changes allowed Wexford with renewed vigour to really take the game to the home side as they began to dominate possession of the football against the wind, knocking it about and making Gorey chase the game. Wexford intent now on winning the game, went on the offensive and came close to taking the lead on a number of occasions with Eoin MacDonald, Cian Doyle and Mark Doyle coming close to breaking the deadlock but unfortunately didn’t hit the target with Mark Doyle coming closest hitting the side netting, the chances coming from the tireless work of the front pairing. Gorey always looked to hit on the counter attack and made one good opening but found keeper Joe Coleman in defiant mood, saving well. The game seemed to be heading for only one outcome as Wexford continued to press and the pressure finally paid off as Dempsey stole possession before releasing Eoin MacDonald into a good position wide on the left MacDonald looked up and played a delightful pass into the path of Sean Donohue who made no mistake in finding the net with an unstoppable strike to give CBS the lead their performance deserved.
Gorey still had 15 minutes to find an equaliser but were finding chances hard to come by as the Wexford midfield and defence combined to thwart their efforts with Dempsey and Kearney in particular on top form. Gorey made a couple of changes as they looked to change the course of the game and did force a corner with 5 minutes remaining as they poured forward, however that corner was superbly taken by keeper Coleman with a fantastic catch and kick releasing Cian Doyle up front who came close to doubling Wexford’s advantage. Gorey continued to battle again in a tight contest in midfield but it was the Wexford side again coming out on top, with Dempsey dominant as they created a number of chances with both Doyles and Dempsey coming close with efforts but unable to hit the back of the net. Wexfords midfield really took a hold of the game into injury time as the referee somehow managed to find 7 minutes extra to be played during which time the game was again only going in one direction as the Bokerboys comfortably saw out the game. The team did themselves and their mentors proud and were well supported by squad members on the side-line, with a fantastic team performance. Captain Robin Dempsey produced a quality display of leadership and determination in the middle of the field and Richie Kearney in the heart of defence epitomised their team-mates performance.
Wexford CBS: Joe Coleman (Forth Celtic), Eoghan Whitty (Wexford Albion), Lar Stoutt (Curracloe Utd), Richie Kearney (North End), Emmet Sinnott (North End), Sean Donohue (North End), Robin Dempsey (C) (North End), Darragh Rossiter (Forth Celtic), Mark Doyle (North End), Cian Doyle (Wexford Celtic), Eoin MacDonald (Wexford Celtic), Subs; Ian Moran (Crossabeg) for Sinnott; also Eoin Doyle (Wexford Albion), Shane McGrath (Wexford Albion), Andrew McGuickan (Wexford Celtic), Luke Byrne (Wexford Albion), Jessie Farrell (Wexford Celtic), Aaron Goodison (Wexford Albion)

No comments:

Post a Comment